Most fishermen approach fishing as a serious hobby, so when fantastic tools like fish finders came onto the market you can imagine what a breakthrough this was for most of these experts. But how can we define what a fish finder really is? A fish finder is an advanced piece of technology that uses sonar to locate fish underwater so that fishermen can catch them more easily. On the screens of these fish finders is a display where you can see where the fish are when your boat is sitting on top of them. This type of fishing is the latest breakthrough in the sport, and it’s what all the professionals are using in order to have a competitive advantage. The best types of fish finders available have are produced by Humminbird and Garmin. They have a huge selection of fish finders to suit your needs. The following are some helpful guidelines to give you an advantage when picking out your fish finder.
- Consider the location that you’ll be using your fish finder at when purchasing. It’s very important to think about what type of body of water you’ll be using your fish finder in. When you know the answers to that then you’ll be able to pick a fish finder based on power, transmission, and other characteristics. For example, if you’re only going to go fishing in small bodies of water like ponds you’ll just need a small device. If you’ll be fishing on large lakes then you’ll need something with a bit more power in it to handle the job. Make sure that you buy a fish finder that has at least 5-600 watts of power.
- Choosing the right kind of frequency for your fish finder. If you will be doing most of your fishing in bodies of water that are deep then you’ll need a fish finder with a low frequency. Therefore, if the body of water you’ll be fishing in is shallow you should pick a fish finder with a high frequency.
- Selecting the transducer. Transducers are used in fish finders to send out waves in order to find the fish. The waves start at narrow but then widen as they go further away from the boat. There are different types of beams that you can choose from. A dual beam transducer can check out a bigger space in comparison with just a single beam. You’ll want a dual beam if you’ll be fishing in large bodies of water. We suggest the Humminbird PiranhaMAX 230 as a fantastic fish finder that should handle most of your needs.
- Take a look at the graphic capability of the fish finder. Don’t buy a fish finder that has an unclear screen. If the display is clear then it will make it much easier to find fish when you’re out on the boat. You can pick between displays that have color or ones that just use a single color. Displays with color are more costly, but they provide better information. However, most fishermen think that one color will do the job just fine. The Humminbird Fish Finder 700 series is recommended as it has a super-clear screen that makes it easy to find fish.
- How much do you want to spend on your fish finder? Before you select a fish finder you should consider what you want as far as specifications. If you would rather buy something less expensive then the PiranhaMAX 150 might be suitable for you, as it is only 150 dollars. If you wanted to spend a bit more then there’s the PiranhaMAX 230 that is priced at two hundred dollars and the 788c that is around five hundred dollars. The prices can go up to over two thousand dollars.
These are just five basic areas to think about when purchasing a fish finder. If you use these tips, you should be able to pick out the right fish finder for you. Bring this list with you when you go to the store so that you pick out a fish finder that fits your every need. Over a Kayak Fish Finder Hub you can learn about kayak fishing.